Dental Services Provided
John James Horan D.M.D., Board Certified, Dental Services in Stuart, Florida
Periodontal Disease, also known as"gum disease", is a chronic bacterial infection that damages the gums and bone supporting the teeth. It is a very serious disease that can result in tooth loss, but it is generally painless, so you might not even know you have it. We know that there are links between periodontal disease and other systemic diseases such as diabetes, respiratory disease, osteoporosis and coronary artery (heart) disease. There are different stages of periodontal disease - Gingivitis, Beginning Periodontitis, Moderate Periodontitis and Advanced Periodontitis. Depending on the severity of the case type, it will be treated with scaling and root planing or periodontal osseous surgery. With proper treatment, gum disease can be prevented and controlled.
SEDATION: We understand and care that some individuals may feel anxious or experience anxiety toward their having dental treatment and in this regard we offer Conscious Sedation as a means to make you feel relaxed. I.V. SEDATION is also available and will be MONITORED SEPARATELY by a Certified Anesthesiology Expert. YOUR HEALTH SAFETY COMES FIRST! Our desire is to make you feel comfortable and your office visit as pleasant and enjoyable as possible!
1.PROFESSIONAL CLEANING: This is our number one service that we provide for our patients once their oral health has been stablized. Consistent daily homecare practice and periodic professional "Periodontal Maintenance Cleanings" usually on a three month interval have proven to be the key in preserving favorable and stable oral health over the long term. We usually recommend that this visit be alternated with your general dentist. Your visit here will involve periodontal, oral cancer, and dental restoration examinations, as well as, flouride treatment and necessary periodic x-rays. Our mission is to keep your teeth and gums healthy for a lifetime!
2. NON-SURGICAL SCALING AND ROOT PLANING Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing is commonly referred to as "Deep Cleaning". It is a non-surgical procedure involving intrumentation of the crown and root surfaces of the teeth to remove bacterial dental plaque, tartar, and staining deposits. This procedure along with proper Oral Hygiene Instruction is often the "First Step" in treating individuals diagnosed as having Periodontal Disease. It is recogonized that debriding the root surface is the most critical element in re-establishing Periodontal Health. Teeth that do not adequately respond to non-surgical management may require the "Second Step" in treating Periodontal Disease called Periodontal Surgery.
3. PERIODONTAL (OSSEOUS) SURGERY: This is indicated if your periodontal disease problem is non-responsive to non-surgical treatment. The gum is gently opened to permit better access to the roots and to the eroded bone. Chronic inflamed and infected gum tissue will be removed and the root surfaces will be thoroughly cleaned. Bone irregularities may be reshaped and bone regenerative material may be placed in the areas of bone loss around the teeth. The gum will be sutured back into position and a periodontal bandage or dressing may be placed.
4. PLACEMENT and RESTORATION of DENTAL IMPLANTS: Dental Implants look and function like natural teeth. They provide a secure foundation for a complete or partial denture or completely eliminate the need for a denture. Dental Implants can help adult patients of any age who are missing one or more of their natural teeth. Dental Implant treatment is a popular tooth replacement choice and is a frequently performed procedure in our office!
5. BONE AND SINUS AUGMENTATION PROCEDURES: For patients who do not have sufficient bone to support Dental Implants, augmentation procedures help Build-Up the bone. Patients who could not have enjoyed the benefits of Dental Implants in years past can now have successful Dental Implant treatment due to bone and sinus augmentation procedures.
6. PERIODONTAL COSMETIC PLASTIC SURGERY PROCEDURES: Some people have teeth that look too short due to the relationship between their teeth and gums. A procedure called "CROWN LENGTHENING" is often used to remove excess gum tissue and expose more of the crown of the tooth. In fact, your gum line can be carefully sculpted to create just the right proportion between gum tissue and the tooth surface and the result is a better looking smile! Other patients may look older than their years because their teeth appear to be too long ("long in the tooth"). "SOFT TISSUE GRAFTS" and other root coverage procedures are designed to cover exposed roots and make the teeth look much better. These procedures can also reduce further gum recession and protect the roots of the teeth from further decay. Cosmetic Periodontal Procedures are often performed in conjuction with and as a means of enhancing the restorative treatment.
8.LASER GUM TREATMENT: Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy (LAPT)
9.SPECIALIZED DENTISTRY: Services include Simple to Advanced Restorative Dentistry and Cosmetic Smile Enhancement Procedures, as well as, Tooth Whitening-Bleaching.